Blogger Templates

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

MSU Hospitality!

A few years ago, my son Daniel went to Korea on a two week exchange program through Mississippi State.  When he returned, he asked me to host a dinner for Korean students coming to MSU that fall.  I truly did not get what he was asking me to do, other than feed quite a few Korean students an American meal and provide them a place to hang-out for a few hours.  I had no idea what an incredible couple of hours were about to unfold.  Watching their faces as they processed America - Mississippi style; seeing their pleasure in meeting others from Korea -even though they were half a world away from their homes; watching glimmers of homesickness for family after just a few days; admiring their resolve to make it in a strange place; falling in love with their sweet, genuine hearts. That night I saw the group as individuals on a journey without a lot of stuff to hold on to.
Not surprising, although I had never given any thought to it, I learned that most international students come to college with a suitcase.That is pretty much it...except for a backpack......for a whole year of living. Since there is little public transportation in Starkville, it is up to the students who have been on the previous global exchange to get together a few trucks and take these international students to Walmart to buy bicycles and necessities.  Now replay in your mind the stark contrast between that picture and move-in day at MSU. Nuff said?
Because of my experience with those Korean students....  I am clanging my bell today for the Garage Give-Away at the International Friendship House this weekend.  The International students at MSU get to shop for free from the collection of donated housewares and furniture. Last year one student had been sleeping on the floor of an apartment before discovering the generosity of area Christians to provide out of their "abundance" with mattress and box spring. It seems most of us hoard things that could be put to good use by these students.  I was amazed at the stuff hiding out at my house. Maybe you will be, too.  If it is too late for you to donate this year, consider starting a box to collect for next year. The house is located at 211 Collegeview - next to Akin Village.  You can drop any new or gently used household items off by Friday. If you need more info call 662-323-2126.  Trucks are needed with volunteers to help college students get their treasures to their apartments. CLANG CLANG CLANG for those who are demonstrating real love by meeting real needs of our international students. I can't wait to do more next year!!! Won't you join me???

1 comment:

  1. Hey Chellie, Loved reading of this good work. Sounds like people truly being God's hands and feet in this world. Patti

    ReplyDelete